When the Chicago, Kansas, and the Nebraska Railroad Company decided to extend the Rock Island System west from Topeka in 1887, developers purchased land and platted the town of Dwight. The town was named after Dwight Rathbone who donated land for the Dwight Methodist Episcopal Church. It was settled about the time the railroad was built and a post office established in March 1887. By the turn of the century Dwight had developed into a trading and shipping point in the northeastern part of the county. By that time, it had a money order post office with two rural routes, express, telegraph and telephone service, three churches, and good public schools. The town was incorporated in 1905 and in 1910 had a population of almost 300 people. Throughout the years the Presbyterian and Methodist churches played an important part in the life of the community. Today, Dwight continues to be a small town with a population of about 325 people. The Swartz School Museum is located on Main Street. Originally located about 2 ½ miles southwest of Dwight, it was built in 1871.