This small, unincorporated town in the Southwest comer of Morris County is located at the north edge of the Flint Hills country. In the early 1880s, a few Russian Mennonites stopped for about a year, then went on west. Burdick was really settled by Swedish immigrants in about 1884-87. Being of strong religious faith, Lutheran, Mission Friends, or Methodist, they soon established worship services, first in homes, then built churches. Schools were also an important priority. First called Linsdalc, then changed to Burdick when the Strong City-Superior, Nebraska Railroad was built, the town was reportedly named for an official or his sweetheart, whichever story you choose to believe. Several township schools, East Slope, West Slope, Pretty Prairie, Prairie Star, and Southwest Queen, were all consolidated with the Burdick school.
The citizens of Burdick have always prided themselves on keeping buildings painted and all areas of town well kept, particularly in anticipation of the annual Labor Day Celebration, which began in 1973. Senator Nancy L. Kassebaum Baker, who owns a ranch near Burdick, served as Grand Marshal of the parade in 1983.
From the 1987 Centennial book, “Through the Years”