PROPERTIES OWNED AND MAINTAINED BY THE MORRIS COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY
303 W Main St
Home of the Morris County Historical SocietyOpen Wednesdays 1 - 4 and by appointment
POST OFFICE OAK MUSEUM
20 E Main St
The name of the museum comes from the large oak tree, believed to have been 270 years old when it died in 1990, is alleged to have served as an unofficial post office. Travelers could leave messages in a cache in the base of the oak tree. The tree trunk stands next to the Post Office Oak Museum. This was originally a one-family home built in 1864 with a brewery on the lower floor and a 18 x 25 x 9 foot cave to the east of the house. The brewery provided refreshment for travelers on the Santa Fe Traill.
Seth Hays Home
201 Wood St
The house was built by Seth Hays in 1867. While Hays never married, he did adopt a daughter in 1867. Hays' slave, "Aunt Sally," lived in the basement and cared for the family until her death in 1872. The home, operated by the Morris County Historical society, is open in the summer on Sunday afternoons and by appointment.
DUNLAP LEARNING ACADEMY
6th St & Ohio St, Dunlap KS
The charter for the Dunlap Learning Academy was signed May 22nd 1880. The first services were held in a school house in the north part of town until an appropriate house of worship was finished in 1883. The following year the edifice was dedicated. Joseph Dunlap donated the lots on which the church was built. Initially, the building was nearly identical in architecture to that of the Dwight Chapel and the Skiddy Methodist church, all having been constructed about the same time. The Dunlap church had a pressed tin ceiling, oil lamps, wooden pews and a large stove which sat to one side of the center aisle. In 1893 a bell was purchased and installed in the tower.
20 W Main St
Missouri Pacific Freight Depot located on the Yesteryear Museum Grounds. This has been moved from it's original location at E Main & 3rd.
Civilian Conservation Corp headquarters
1 mile east of town on Hwy 56
This building is maintained by the Morris County Historical Society. We do not own it.